• PIMM Wix Team

Protect Your Children’s Futures

It’s the last thing parents of young children want to ask themselves: Who will take care of our kids if something happens to us?

Let Haydon Law help you draw up legal guardianship papers so, if the situation ever arises, you will have indicated who you want to take care of your children.

Legal guardianship is assigned by a court according to state laws. For parents/guardians involved in guardianship cases, it’s crucial to have all of the legal paperwork set up in advance.

Legal guardianship lets parents plan for the care of their children in their absence due to a variety of situations, such as illness or death. It allows parents to name a caregiver and to give the caregiver certain legal rights regarding the care of the child or children. In most cases, the parents’ legal rights are not terminated, and the parents still play a role in their children’s lives. Legal guardians have custody of the children and the authority to make decisions regarding the youngsters’ protection, education, care, discipline, etc.

Guardianship can also be a permanency (family-like) option for a child who has been placed in out-of-home care, because it creates a legal relationship between a child and caregiver that’s intended to be everlasting and self-sustaining; it can provide a perpetual family for the child without the necessity of terminating the parents’ parental rights. The child is able to maintain connections with his or her biological family while gaining the stability of a permanent home with a caregiver who has demonstrated a commitment to caring for the child.

Lastly, something called standby guardianship differs from traditional guardianship in that the parent retains much of his or her authority over the child. Many states developed these laws specifically to address the needs of parents living with terminal illnesses or other disabling conditions, or who want to plan a legally secure future for their children.

Carey Haydon is committed to helping you and your family make the decisions that are right for you. Contact haydon Law today at 559-319-0096 or

7 views0 comments